In this post, we shall learn about Classical Dance in India and Different Classical dance forms in India. We all know in competitive exam like IBPS, SSC, PSC, UPSC, RAIL etc. one or two questions come from Classical Dance in India. So all Students who Preparing for Government job exam must Know this topic. So let’s see what all are we going to cover today (A) What is Dance, (B) Technique of dance, (c) How many Classical Dances in Indian, (D) What is Folk dances, (E) Differences between classical dance and folk dance.
Read the Article Carefully and answer the following questions ( In Below the Article ).
Table of Contents
- (A) What is Dance ?
- (B) Technique of Dance
- (C) How many Classical Dances in Indian ?
- 1. Bharatanatyam Dance in India
- 2. Mohiniyattam Dance in India
- 3. Kathakali Dance in India
- 4. Kathak Dance in India
- 5. Kuchupuchur Dance in India
- 6. Odissi Dance in India
- 7. Manipuri Dance in India
- 8. Sattriya Dance in India
- ( D ) What is Folk Dances ?
- ( E ) Differences Between Classical Dance and Folk Dance
(A) What is Dance ?
Dance is a Physical expression of emotive of music. “Gestures Coupled with rhythmical movement to expressions can be defined as Dance” Expression of mind through body movements. In ancient culture, dance was purely for spiritual practices and in modern society – entertainment. The pleasure of dance is in watching that music through the visual expression. Literary work which gives information ancient Indian is ‘Natyasasthra’ by Bharata Muni.
(B) Technique of Dance
According to Sangeetharatnakara and Abhinayadarpana, ‘Dance has 3 parts.’
NRITT – Corresponds to drama.
NRITT – Pure dance – Movement of the body do not express any mood and do not express any meaning.
NRITHYA – OR ABHINAYA – Along with Hand.
(C) How many Classical Dances in Indian ?
According to Sangeet Natak Academy, there are 8 types of Classical Dances.
1. Bharatanatyam Dance in India
‘Bha’ stands for Bhava which is mood. ‘Ra’ for Raga=Music, and ‘TA’ for Tala =rhythm. Natyam stands for Nritya. Originated in Tamilnadu.
|Bharatanatyam Dance in India|
2. Mohiniyattam Dance in India
- Originated in kerala.
- Performed only by Women.
- Derived it’s name from Mohini of Puranas.
- It has elements of Bharatanatyam and Kathakali.
|Mohiniyattam dance in India|
3. Kathakali Dance in India
- Dance of kerala
- Born in the temple of kerala.
- Performed in open air at night.
- Themes – epics.
- ‘katha can recite in music by a singer in the course of drums and musical instruments.
- The actor never open his lips.
- Movement of body, facial expressions and hand interpret the play.
- Celebrated facial makeup.
- Green represents Good and red represent Bad characters.
|Kathakali Dance in India|
4. Kathak Dance in India
- The dance form of North ( Mainly U.P )
- Derives it’s name from ‘kathaka’ which means story teller.
- He recites from epics with gestures and music.
- Gradually it assumed an elaborate involving Nritt and Nrithya.
- Kathak dance starts with soft and varied movements concluding with fast foot movements and jumps and turns.
- Male dancers usually wear sharvani and velvet cap.
- He ties bells around his ankles.
- Male or female dancers or even as couple dance.
|Kathak Dance in India|
5. Kuchupuchur Dance in India
- The dance originated in kuchupuchur in Andropodesh.
- Traced back to bounce drama of enacted by Brahmanas in temple.
- Theme – Bhagavat Puran, esp. Life of Krishna.
- Famous factor is Dancing up on brass plate and pot on his head.
- Performed both as solo and in a group.
|Kuchipudi dance in india|
6. Odissi Dance in India
- Dance form of Orissa.
- As devotion to lord Krishna.
- Based on ‘Geethagovinda’
- Used to depict love and devotion to God.
- It was originally temple art, later it famous in Royal Courts.
- Mudras and expressions are similar Bharatanatyam.
|Odissi dance in India|
7. Manipuri Dance in India
- Dance form Manipur.
- Describe the plays of Krishna and gopikas.
- Body moves with slow and charm arm movements and movements of fingers.
|Manipuri dance in India|
Folk comprises common people and it’s common people’s dance.
They are simple, natural and spontaneous expression of everyday themes and feelings. Language is very simple and local. Differences between classical dance and folk dance.
( E ) Differences Between Classical Dance and Folk Dance
|Clssical Dance||Folk Dance|
|No.Of participants -Primarily solo||Group|
|Language-Literary language||Local Simple|
|Dress-Elaborate structure, colour and ornamentation||Simple|
|Format-Artificial atmosphere||Natural Original|
|Audience participation Can only enjoy||Can participate|
Get More Information: Wikipedia.org
Thanks For Reading. Hope this Post help you.